Monday, December 20, 2010

No Shows at the Show???

I am not that diluted of a person to think that everyone will be at every single show that I do at this point of my career. So please don't take this post as me being an overly sensitive prick. It bothers me that people tell me before the show that they are coming and then don't show up for the performance. Then after the show, they hit me up and say one or all of these three things.

  1. How was the show?

  2. Sorry I didn't make the show (insert reason here)...

  3. When is your next show, I'll be at that one.

It's not even funny anymore how I can predict what people are going to say to me the day after the show. I have no problem with people telling me that they cant make the show when I make it known I have a gig coming up. I have no problem with people not coming. But the comments after you don't show up bother me. Again I'm not saying this to be an asshole, but put yourself in my position for a second.


Show after show you are greeted by the same 3 general responses. Show after show people have last minute reasons why they couldn't come. It is not like it's a one time occurrence. You have at least 10-15 people putting you through the same song and dance after every show. It gets redundant and annoying and I know you would feel like me after years and years of the same exposure.


So to combat all of that, I just respond with "you had to be there" when people ask me how the show went. Especially, towards people that told me that they were coming. My homegirl Ajae said something profound to me about this subject. She said "people always want to support you from a distance ("how was the show?" or"I'mma try to come to your shows one day") when you're trying to come up but want front row seats to your success."


Jump aboard now before its too late...


No comments:

Post a Comment